Friday, April 18, 2014

Spinach Sunrise Smoothie



You know that saying, breakfast is the most important meal of the day?! Well I've always been a huge breakfast fan even before this lovely fitness journey. So naturally I love making and eating breakfast. It is in fact one of my favorite meals of the day. 
Eating breakfast is also crucial if you are trying to lose weight and keep it off. 
Eating a balanced breakfast helps to:

Rev up your metabolism
Keeps you in a good mood
Keeps you from binging

Studies have shown that weight loss can be more difficult and weight gain more prevalent in folks who opt out on the golden morning meal. Skipping breakfast will cause you to consume more food than usual the next time you grab a bite to eat. Secondly, it will cause you to snack on higher calorie meals to keep your stomach from growling.

Okay now that the breakfast lecture is over, I made an unusual breakfast this morning due to lack of time. Instead of my normal breakfast of spinach and egg whites with oatmeal topped with berries and a side of green tea, I decided to make a green smoothie and oatmeal sans berries. 

Green smoothies have always been a huge favorite of mine, but my personal blender has been on the decline so I've been steering clear of green smoothies until I'm able to get a new one. But any who I decided to make one this morning and I'm quite glad that I did.

Spinach Sunrise




Alright so I never really measure out ingredients so I will just list what I used..sorry :(

1 Medium sized banana
1 Cup of Spinach
1 Cup of Frozen Mangoes
1 cup of Kefir Strawberry

Blended to perfection



...but stop the track, can we discuss Kefir for a moment? Kefir pronounced "Keh-FEAR," is basically "cultured milk"...yeah I know it sounds disgusting, but it is so freaking good. All I know is that it works well with my very difficult belly. But if you are interested in more info about Kefir check their Wikipedia page. Any way my Kefir was picked up at my local Trader Joes, I did find a few others online and am interested in trying the other versions in frozen smoothies and even fro-yo.

But my breakfast ended up looking like so:


What are your thoughts on breakfast? Do you skip it? Favorite meals? Have you tried Kefir? Thoughts?

  Have a great weekend everyone and an even happier Easter. 

Start sweating sweetheart,
Love Erricka

No comments:

Post a Comment